With an adaptable amount of heat, this Sweet and Savory Chicken and Walnut is a truly satisfying 30-minute lunch or dinner item. It’s a simple recipe that is big on flavor. Serve this on a bed of rice, in wraps, or over salads and we guarantee that you will crave for another round.
Sweet and Savory Chicken and Walnut Recipe Details
Prepared with pantry basics such as vinegar, soy sauce, sweet onion, and ginger, the magic of our Sweet and Savory Chicken and Walnut recipe derives from the excellent balance of its flavors. Simmering tames the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the chicken, spices and naturally sweet organic carob syrup to enhance it.
In case walnuts are unavailable, please feel free to use cashews, pecans or almonds. The flavor profile will be slightly different but the nutty taste will still be there.
RECIPE: Sweet and Savory Chicken and Walnut
- 1 cup chicken thighs, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely diced
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps light soy sauce
- 3 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground basil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 cup asparagus, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- Make a side dish of rice according to product directions.
- In a medium size, heavy duty sauce pan or frying pan, sauté the chicken onion and ginger in the olive oil.
- When chicken and onions are cooked, add the soy sauce, balsamic, carob syrup and seasonings.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced and there is some caramelization.
- Add the asparagus and walnuts and simmer until done.
- Serve with or over the prepared rice.
More Savory Carob Recipes to enjoy:
- Carob Teriyaki
- Carob Mole
- Carob Spiced Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Carob Bean Salad
- Spicy Carob Tocino
- Carob Mechado
- Carob Mango Salsa
Discover more recipes on CarobRecipes.com!