Spiced Date and Carob Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Carob Caramel
Is it a carob cake? Or is it a carob cupcake? It’s both! Enjoy this homemade carob cake recipe that Mary Gualtieri has thoughtfully shared with us. Topped with cream cheese frosting and carob caramel, these decadent cakes are perfect sweet weekend treats for the family!
For the Carob Cake
- 1 cup of dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 200 grams of unsalted butter, softened plus extra for the tin
- 2 cups of soft, light brown sugar
- 4 eggs, large
- 2 cups of plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsps of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup, carob powder
- 3/4 cup, hot water
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 grams of cream cheese
- 120 grams of butter
- 1 cup icing of sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla
For the Carob Caramel Drizzle
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp. Carob Syrup
- 1 tbsp. cream
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and line a 900g loaf tin with a long strip of baking paper. Or, line cupcake tray with 24 cup cake liners.
2. Warm the milk till almost boiling, place in a bowl and add the dates and bi-carb soda then leave to cool.
3. Place the carob powder into a bowl and add the hot water, stir to completely dissolve, leave to cool.
4. In the meantime, beat the butter and sugar with electric beaters until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is fully incorporated before adding the next, add vanilla.
5. Add Carob mixture and mix.
6. Mix in the plain flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon.
7. Add the dates with their cooking liquid (milk) and mix well.
8. Pour into the loaf tin and bake until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven to cool completely.
9. Decorate with cream cheese frosting and drizzle with carb caramel.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1. Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, soften cream cheese.
2. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended.
3. Sift in icing sugar, and continue beating until smooth.
4. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
5. Place in piping bag and refrigerate for a few minutes until firm enough to pipe.
CAROB CARAMEL DRIZZLE
1. Place sugar and carob syrup in a pot, place on stove and cook until sugar has melted and starts to caramelize.
2. Stir and watch closely so that it doesn’t crystallise.
3. Add cream and stir until it mixed and starting to thicken.
4. Take off the heat and allow to cool.