Rich and Moist Carob Cake
Missy J's Snacks and Treats
The Best Vegan Carob Cake that is crazy moist and epically delicious.
Carob Products Used: Raw Carob Powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 and 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup Missy J’s Carob powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
CAROB “BUTTER” CREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup Missy J’s Carob powder
- 1 1/2 cups earth balance vegan butter, softenedbaking sticks preferred
- 2-3 cups finely ground coconut sugar. (Grind to a fine powder owder in Magic Bullet)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
For the Carob Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease the bottoms and sides of the two heart shaped pans.Trace and cut heart shapes out of parchment paper. Stick the heart shaped paper on the greased pan. Then lightly grease the paper.
Measure 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and add the tablespoon of vinegar to it. Stir slightly and set aside to curdle.
In a Kitchen Aid mixer, mix the flour, coconut sugar, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Now add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and almond milk/vinegar mixture. Mix on low – medium speed.
Lower the speed and carefully pour in the boiling water, continuing to mix into the cake batter until well combined.
Fill cake pans a little over 1/2 way. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After 10 minutes of cooling in the pan, carefully remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely before frosting.
Carob “Butter” Cream Frosting
Add Missy J’s Carob powder and coconut sugar to the Kitchen Aid bowl. Use the whisk attachment.
Add softened vegan butter and mix until creamed and well combined.
Add the vanilla extract. Mix son low, and turn to high for about 5-10 seconds or until fluffy and combined.
If the frosting seems too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon or two at a time. If the frosting seems too wet and doesn’t hold it’s shape, add more Carob powder until it thickens up.
Frost the cake with a small offset spatula.