Crunchy Carob Buckwheat Sweeties (gluten free, vegan)
Compliments of Mioviva Nutrition
A gluten free, vegan and tummy friendly treat for everyone including those with food allergies or intolerances.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 tsp pure 100% Canadian maple syrup (organic tastes better and is less likely to be diluted)
- 2 Tbs rice malt syrup (you can find a good one in the health food section of Coles)
- 4 Tbs roasted carob powder
- Rinse buckwheat, drain. Place in medium sized bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak for a minimum of 15 minutes or overnight to activate the buckwheat and make it more digestible.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and heat oven to 100°C.
- Drain and rinse buckwheat again, then spread the buckwheat evenly over the lined tray.
If you left it to soak for only 15 minutes you can leave it to dry out on the bench overnight or pop it in a low oven for about 15 minutes.
If you soaked it overnight, place it in the pre-heated oven for 1 and half to 2 hours. Stirring frequently every 30 minutes. When firm and shrunken, remove from the oven. Stir and leave to cool in the pan for about 30 mins.
Place dried buckwheat in a clean bowl or jar and either re-line the tray with baking paper or reserve the paper you have just used.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium-high. Combine the rice malt syrup and maple syrup in the pan, stirring to combine. Continue stirring until the syrup begins to bubble. Add the dried buckwheat groats and stir to coat. Remove from the heat, add 2 Tbs carob powder and stir to coat evenly.
- Spread out evenly on the tray again and leave to cool. Sprinkle with remaining carob powder at this point to prevent sticking and break up with your hands.
- Serve over ice-cream, at breakfast, as a snack or anywhere you want to add a healthy, sweet crunch to your food.
- Store in a clean glass jar or container in the cupboard.