Carob Ogura Cake
Carob Products Used: Carob Syrup, Roasted Carob Powder
Yolk batter (A):
- 100 gm egg yolk (about 5 eggs)
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 60gm corn oil
- 60gm cake flour
- 15gm roasted carob powder
- 90gm Carob Syrup water (mix 10gm carob syrup into 80gm water)
Egg whites and baking (B):
- 200 gm -egg white (from 5 eggs)
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
7″square pan or 8″round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom for water bath method to prevent water sipping in
Instructions for yolk batter (A):
- Beat the egg yolk, whole egg, salt, corn oil, carob syrup water until fluffy.
- Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined. Set aside.
Instructions for egg whites and baking (B):
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Beat egg white + lemon juice + caster sugar until firm peaks form
- Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time , first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
- Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160°C for 30 min then turn down to 150°C for 45 min.
- Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool.