Carob Banana Bread with Blueberries and Coconut
Vegan and gluten-free carob banana bread with blueberries and coconut by Charlie and the Carob Tree. Delicious and healthy baked treat that is perfect for the holidays!
- 4 medium bananas (about 500g), the riper the better
- 150g Brown Sugar (can substitute with any non-refined sugar, Stevia or any other type of sweetener or leave it out all together)
- 60g Coconut Oil (or your preferred oil such as Rice Bran, or a light Olive Oil)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 150g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 50g Coconut Flour
- 50g Buckwheat Flour
- 50g Brown Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
- 120ml of your favourite milk (Soy, Almond, Rice, Coconut, Macadamia)
- 100g Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
- 4 tbsp “Charlie” (Raw Carob Powder)
- 2 tbsp Shredded Coconut
- Raw sugar and shredded coconut (to sprinkle on top before baking)
Preheat oven to 175-degree Celcius.
Prepare a large loaf pan by spraying with a non-stick cooking spray or melted margarine and gluten free flour or line the line the loaf pan with baking paper.
Mash bananas and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.
If using coconut oil, melt gently in the microwave, then add Apple Cider Vinegar and mix to combine.
For liquid oils, place in a small bowl, add Apple Cider Vinegar and mix to combine.
Add all of the ‘flours’, baking powder, bicarb of soda, cinnamon, salt, coconut and “Charlie” to a separate bowl and gently mix.
Add the ‘flours’ to the banana mix and stir gently to combine.
Add the melted oil and vinegar to the mix and stir gently to combine.
Add your milk a little. You might not need all of it, but the coconut flour does absorb a fair bit of liquid.
Add your blueberries and fold in gently.
Spoon your mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
Scatter extra shredded coconut and raw sugar over the top of the mixture.
Bake for approximately 60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Let cool for a while in the tin, then turn out of tin and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Slice and enjoy.
This loaf will keep for about 4 days, unless it is eaten all in one go because it is so yummy.
It is better kept in the fridge and warmed a little before eating, maybe even toasted.