These dense and chewy Matcha Pecan Carob Chip Cookies are an incredible twist on a classic carob chip cookie. Through this cookie recipe, you’ll find that the unique combination of matcha and carob is surprisingly delightful!
What is Matcha?
Before we start discussing about these cookies, please allow us to walk you through some information on Matcha.
Matcha is a type of tea leaf powder that has a uniquely beautiful, vivid green color. However, please don’t confuse it with the green tea that is normally associated with Japanese meals. That’s also green tea, but matcha green tea leaves are shade-grown and harvested differently. When shopping for Matcha, the good quality ones should feature this vibrant green appearance, not dull. Please look for the kind that says “culinary grade” because that is excellent for baking.
Matcha Pecan Carob Chip Cookie Recipe Details
The secret to carob chip cookies that perfectly hit the spot is the carob powder that’s used to make the carob chips.
- Homemade Carob Chips. Make these at home in advance. The recipe only calls for two ingredients. They’re easy to make, are delicious and also gluten-free and vegan! These sweet treats are dairy-free and do not contain trans fats or palm oil. Just straight-up nutritious and delicious!
- Matcha Green Tea Powder. Look for “culinary grade” when shopping at the store or online.
- Nutty Flavor Profile. Pecans definitely defined further the overall taste direction of these cookies.
- Gluten-Free Carob Cookies. We highly recommend using gluten-free organic all-purpose flour. When buying oats for this recipe, please make sure that your oats are certified gluten-free oats.
- No Artificial Sweeteners. There is no refined sugar in this recipe. Pure maple syrup acts as organic sweetening agent for these cookies. This way, you can absolutely indulge without the guilt feeling!
- Pure Vanilla Extract. This direction definitely elevates these sweet treats to gourmet status.
Visually, they are appealing. Flavor-wise, they’re irresistibly delicious! Bake these nutrient-rich carob cookies at home and please don’t forget to tag us on Instagram.
RECIPE: Matcha Pecan Carob Chip Cookies
- 1 handheld mixer
- 1 1/2 cups organic quick oats* quick or rolled
- 3/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour, organic
- 2 tsp organic matcha green tea powder, culinary-grade, unsweetened and sugar-free
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking powder, matcha and salt. Mix until well-combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until you get the sticky texture.
- Add in egg and stir vigorously.
- Once the batter appears thick and well blended, add in the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually fold in homemade carob chips.
- Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop some cookie mixture and place it on a baking sheet. Arrange the cookies two inches apart. Slightly flatten the dough and shape cookies with the spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges of the cookies begin to brown. Please don't overbake them.
- When you get them out of the oven, the cookies will be soft. Allow them to cool for few minutes on the baking sheet then transfer them to a cookie rack to cool completely. They will continue to harden as the cookies cool down.
- You may substitute 1 ½ cup quick oats with 1 cup rolled oats.
- You may use chopped fruit and nut bar or carob almond bar instead of carob chips.
- You may use avocado oil or olive oil instead of butter.
- Please make sure that your oats are certified gluten-free oats.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.