In gourmet cooking, we would often hear of chefs tying all the flavors together with an aromatic mixture of herbs and spices. Depending on the meal, there is always an all-purpose seasoning that gives away the dish inspiration or that makes the origin of the cuisine easily recognizable. Our Carob Savory Seasoning that we are officially calling Herbes de Caroube is a wholesome medley of traditional herbs and spices with a hint of sweetness that comes from Australian Carobs.
Carob Savory Seasoning
Think of this as an all-natural, catchall flavor enhancer. For signature recipes, tap into this mix as an essential component of homemade gourmet cooking. Adding it to the culinary lexicon of any family’s heirloom recipe set will elevate the food making tradition.
How To Use Herbes de Caroube
Rely on this to add distinctive notes to dishes that use fresh meats and seafood products, roasted vegetables, soups, stews, and salads. Even basic sauces and gravy recipes could benefit from a flavor makeover by simply sprinkling this carob savory seasoning!
Elevate dishes by incorporating Herbes de Caroube in these transformative ways:
- Savory rub for meats and fish items. Season the chicken, lamb or beef with olive oil, salt and Herbes de Caroube. Then grill, sear or roasted according to preference.
- All-natural seasoning for liquids. Whisk Herbes de Caroube into gravy sauces, stews, salad dressings, dips and soups.
- Snack seasoning. A dash of this wonderfully fragrant herb and spice blend will take homemade potato chips to the next level. This is also excellent for popcorn and tempura-style vegetables.
What is Herbes de Caroube made of?
To make this defined dried herb and spice mixture, you will need the following:
- Ground Ginger
- Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Black Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Ground Cayenne
Individually, these ingredients have robust profiles but collectively, the flavors are unified and there is no singular taste that stands out. Which is what we aimed for when we developed this recipe.
Make this at home and season, garnish, coat, rub, and sprinkle generously. This can be stored in an airtight container and would make a special gift for friends and family. This may inspire someone to start a small business idea as well. One can never tell. Enjoy!
RECIPE: Herbes de Caroube
- 1 Electric Spice Grinder (or mortar and pestle)
- 4 tbsps The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 2 tbsps thyme
- 2 tbsps basil
- 2 tbsps rosemary
- 2 tbsps smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground salt
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne
- Place the salt and dried herbs, and any other ingredients that are not a fine powder, into an electric spice grinder or a mortar and pestle, and grind finely. This will take a few seconds in the electric spice grinder, or a pleasant bit longer by hand in the mortar and pestle.
- Add the freshly ground ingredients to the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl or the mortar and pestle and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in a cool, dark cabinet between uses.
- Sprinkle Herbes de Caroube or Carob Savory Seasoning to season fish, meat, vegetables, seafood, salads, sauces, dips etc.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.