With this original carob recipe, we can claim that these are the best gluten free carob brownies! Made from scratch at that. These carob brownies are soft, chewy, and perfectly rich. In terms of aesthetic value, you’ll fall in love with their nut-filled yet shiny, flaky top. Like an irresistible invitation to dive into pure yet guilt-free indulgence. Why not? This recipe doesn’t use any refined sugar at all so we got you covered there. The best part? They are amazingly easy to make!
Fudgy or cakey? With carob chips or none? People have varied opinions about what constitutes a perfect brownie. In the case of our carob brownies, there is no need to choose a camp. These gluten-free bites fuse a fudge brownie’s moist interior with a subtle cake-like texture. It’s similar to having the best of both worlds. Moreover, these carob bites feature crater-like cracks on top which is a requisite for all types of good brownies.
Gluten Free Carob Brownies
The overall profile of these gluten-free brownies rely on the quality of the ingredients use. We’re saying these are the best carob brownies because we’ve tested several approaches and this definitely scored “major brownie points” in our book! 🙂
- Gluten-Free Flours. We recommend making your own gluten free flour mixture. In this case, we have found brown rice flour and oat flour to be the best option.
- Decadent Butter Choices. Organic cocoa butter and unsalted butter team up to deliver richness and the uber moist texture of these brownies.
- Best Tasting Carob Powder. For best results, use only Australian Carob Powders because they’re naturally sweet.
- Nutty Profile. Pecans are excellent options but for a classic take, crushed walnuts would be sufficient.
- Psyllium Powder. This lends some amount of loft.
- Espresso Magic. A little coffee spike helps in bringing out or enhancing the carob flavor.
- Sweet Luxuries. Pure vanilla extract and organic pure maple syrup are a must to achieve extra decadence.
If you’d prefer, you may add homemade carob chips (not the store-bought kind) and they’ll also give these brownies a healthy lift in terms of texture and flavor.
Enjoy these carob brownies with your favorite hot beverage or top them with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Carob Brownie Recipe
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa butter, (just melted a few seconds in microwave)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsps pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp instant espresso mixed in 1 tbsp of warm water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp walnuts, chopped (for toppings)
- Line a 6-inch x 8-inch shallow baking pan with parchment in one direction and up the sides to facilitate removal from the pan after baking. Grease the other sides well.
- In a medium bowl, beat the wet ingredients together well.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix the dry ingredients together well.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined and wet, and stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and spread it out to be level.
- Sprinkle the reserved chopped walnuts as a decorative topping.
- Now, turn the oven on and let it warm up to 350 degrees F while the batter rests in the baking pan.
- When the oven is ready, bake the Carob Brownies for 25 minutes or until testing with a knife or toothpick shows it is done.
- Place the hot pan on a baking rack and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Using the parchment ends transfer the finished Carob Brownies to the baking rack to finish cool.
- After completely cooled, cut in squares and serve. Store in covered or airtight plate in the refrigerator for several days or freeze for several months.