This Gluten Free Carob and Raisin Bread is the real deal. Featuring a deliciously crisp crust and pillowy soft crumb, you’ll be surprised as to how easy it is to prepare this classic bread. To take this experience further, there is no xanthan gum or guar gum in this original Australian Carob bread recipe. For our carob and raisin bread to be truly gluten free, we decided to make our own gluten free flour blend. Of course, our carob powder plays the role of a healthy and nutritious natural sweetener. No refined sugar needed.
Gluten Free Flour Blend for our Carob and Raisin Bread
The two flours that we used for this recipe are:
- Almond Flour
- Brown Rice Flour
We used Psyllium Husk Powder for the “loft” aspect as well as a natural binder. This powder is a natural alternative since we do not really want to encourage using gluten-free flours that use additives. Most store-bought gluten free flours have either Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum. These are additives that flour manufacturers add into the mix because they are used in gluten free cooking or baking to bind, thicken and emulsify gluten-free ingredients. It is common belief that if these aren’t added in gluten-free recipes that the end-result will most likely be a pile of crumbs. Which we now know isn’t always true.
The addition of Psyllium Husk Powder in this recipe definitely made the bread delectably moist.
It is important for us that people actually enjoy and benefit from the nutrient profile of our recipes. Part of that commitment is to ensure that we avoid additives and instead, use only good ingredients, flours included.
Gluten Free Carob and Raisin Bread Recipe Details
- Pan size matters. If you use a wider pan, your loaf will be wider and shorter.
- Room temperature. Please make sure that all the ingredients are at ambient or comfortable indoor temperature.
- “Slightly Sweet” Flavor Profile. Feel free to add a tablespoon of carob syrup or maple syrup to the batter if you prefer a sweeter version
Enjoy! Please visit our Carob Breads page for more bread recipes.
Gluten Free Carob and Raisin Bread Recipe
- 1 Baking Oven
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsps butter, melted
- 2 tbsps avocado oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup raisin
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together all the wet ingredients and then add to the dry mixture. Mix thoroughly to a sticky, thick dough.
- Add the raisins and mix until everything is well-incorporated.
- Butter a nonstick bread loaf pan and add the dough, smoothing it into corners and level.
- Let the dough rest in the pan while heating the oven up to 350F.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until slightly browned and a tester inserted in the loaf comes out dry.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan and let cool completely on a baking rack.
- This is a slightly sweet bread. Add a tablespoon of Pure Maple Syrup to the batter if you prefer a sweeter version.
- Slice it thinly and pair with sweet cream butter or cheese.
- Store left over, if any, in an airtight zipper bag at room temperature, or in the refrigerator to keep it longer.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.