Gluten free carob cookies that are both tasty and healthy are a rare find. Store-bought kinds are typically cloyingly sweet and laden with preservatives or additives for longer shelf life. So we developed a gluten free carob cookie recipe that even those without gluten intolerances can appreciate. These homemade gourmet cookies are flavorful and complement any hot or cold beverage. The cookie base consists of oat flour, almond flour and brown rice flour.
Our carob powder and maple syrup take the place of a natural sweetener. On that note, it is safe to claim that these carob cookies are both gluten free and refined sugar-free. Plus who can resist the nutty and tangy tandem of almonds and dried cranberries, right?
Gluten Free Carob Cookies with Almonds and Cranberries
Make these cookies at home in advance and store them in airtight containers. If you are planning a road trip with family or friends, these make excellent on-the-go treats. This way, you won’t feel the need to order snacks when ordering beverages at drive-through places.
We opted to make our own gluten-free flour mixture to avoid additives that commercially-available flours have. Feel free to toast the oat and brown rice flour if you want an extra nutty flavor. The level of sweetness can be increased as well. Just add an extra tablespoon of maple syrup.
Gluten Free Almond Cranberry Carob Cookies
- 1 Baking Oven
- 1 1/2 tbsps butter, melted or soft
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsps pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsps sliced almonds (optional)*
- 2 tbsps dried cranberries (optional)*
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Make sure that everything is incorporated well.
- In a medium size bowl or smaller, combine all the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and make sure that everything is well-combined.
- Add 1/4 cup of rolled oats and mix until incorporated.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Drop in spoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Press slightly flat and decorate the tops with dried cranberries and sliced almonds, pressing them into the dough slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.