Bursting with Autumn flavors, we are positive that this Carob Spiced Pumpkin Pie will be the next star of your Thanksgiving Dinner celebration. This is our take on this true holiday staple. We’re keeping things classic but the addition of Australian Carobs is what makes this recipe a keeper. Our pumpkin filling is carob-spiced and sweetened, baked until creamy and sits on a crisp pie crust. Welcome your guests with this sweet treat and we honestly think that this is that one recipe that every home should master.
Carob Spiced Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 tbsps (30 gms) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs (700 gms) pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and grated
- 3 pcs large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 1 cup (250 ml) thickened cream
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps gluten-free cornflour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
SWEET CAROB SHORTCRUST PASTRY
- For the shortcrust pastry, place flour, carob powder, sugar, xanthan gum and salt together in a food processor, pulsing until combined. Add diced butter, pulsing until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl combine carob syrup and yolk, stirring until combined. Add to the flour mixture, pulsing until combined. Add 1 tablespoon water and pulse until dough just comes together. Add extra water if required to form a dough. Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper and line a 22 cm (9”) fluted pie dish with pastry and prick the base. Place tart tin on a baking tray in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C fan forced/375°F).
- Place pie dish on a baking tray in preheated oven for 20 minutes to blind bake. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C (160°C fan-forced/350°F).
- Meanwhile for the pie filling, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add grated pumpkin, stirring to combine, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until very soft and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove lid and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes or until excess water from the pumpkin has evaporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a large jug, combine eggs, carob syrup, cream and vanilla together, stirring until combined.
- Place cooled pumpkin mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add cornflour, salt and spices, stirring until well combined. Pour over the egg mixture, stirring gently until combined.
- Place prepared pie dish on a baking tray and carefully pour pumpkin pie filling into the pie shell. Gently place baking tray in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until filling is just set. If pastry edges begin to colour, cover with foil to protect.
- Remove pumpkin pie from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Serve pumpkin pie with thickened cream.