RECIPE: Carob Spiced Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 2 cups cooked black beans, unsalted
- 1-2 quarts water
- 3 pcs carrots, diced
- 1 large chayote, peeled, cleaned/pitted and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps pure and real soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a 4-quart soup or sauce pan, sauté the onion and ginger in the olive oil.
- When they start to be translucent and browning, add the soy sauce, balsamic, salt, herbs and spices.
- Add 1 1/2 quarts or liters of water and add the vegetables. Bring to a boil then cover and turn down heat to a slight boil.
- Cook the vegetables for at least one hour but two to three hours is best.
- Once it is fully simmered, stir in the carob powder and mix it well. Adjust spices to taste. Serve hot.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator. Stir and reheat for further servings.