Bake a classic layered Carob Spiced Carrot Cake recipe from The Australian Carob Co, complete with pistachios, orange zest, and a tangy cream cheese frosting.
Carob Spiced Carob Cake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups (350 gms) coarsely grated carrot (approx. 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/3 cup (35 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted Carob Powder
- 1 cup (220 gms) raw caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (115 gms) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (70g) pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 pcs large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 3/4 cup (210 gms) Greek-style yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
ORANGE AND CARDAMOM CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 8 oz (250 gms) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (160 gms) icing sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest finely grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced/350°F) and line 2 x 20 cm (8”) round springform cake tins with baking paper.
- For the cake, combine grated carrot, flour, carob powder, sugar, coconut, almond meal, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, spices and pistachios together in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well-combined.
- In a large jug combine oil, eggs, zests, yogurt and carob syrup together, whisking until well-combined.
- Pour over the carrot mixture, stirring until well combined. Evenly divide cake batter between prepared cake tins and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the centre of each cake cleanly. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- For the icing, combine all ingredients together in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- To serve, place one cake on a cake plate or stand. Spoon half the icing on top, spreading evenly. Place remaining cake on top and spoon remaining icing on top, spreading evenly.