Make this soft and airy Carob Ogura Cake at home. It is a delicious stand alone cake for tea time or a perfect base for strawberries and cream frosting cake. Oozing with roasted carob powder flavor, you’ll forget store-bought chiffon cake after making this one. Enjoy!
Carob Ogura Cake Recipe
- 7″ square pan or 8″round pan – use the normal pan and line the bottom for water bath method to prevent water sipping in.
Egg Whites and Baking
- 200 gms egg yolks, about five (5) eggs
- 40 gms caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
FOR THE YOLK BATTER
- Beat the egg yolk, whole egg, salt, corn oil, carob syrup water until fluffy.
- Sift in flour, then mix it until well combined. Set aside.
FOR EGG WHITES AND BAKING
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Beat egg white + lemon juice + caster sugar until firm peaks form.
- Mix into egg yolk batter, 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time, first use a hand whisk to mix gently and at the end, switch to spatula to lift batter from bottom to fold up. Keep doing this until a nice smooth batter is obtained.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
- Put pan into a larger pan and filled up with hot water (about 1/3 of the batter pan). Bake with preheated oven at 160°C for 30 min then turn down to 150°C for 45 min.
- Once baked, remove from the pan immediately, inverted on a rack and let it cool.