Everything about these Baked Carob Doughnuts will have the world smiling. They’re homemade, first and foremost. Their rich and flavorful credentials include being baked, gluten-free and refined sugar free. There are no palm oil or soy lecithin involved even in the gourmet Carob Glaze used as ganache because even that is made from scratch too!
Aside from not having to deal with unhealthy oils brought by the traditionally fried doughnuts, these doughnuts are appetizing even without the ganache. The plain carob doughnuts themselves feature a pleasant light airy texture. All you can taste is the medley of delectably healthy carob powder, heavy cream, unsalted butter, pure vanilla, and organic maple sugar.
Just like most of our baked carob desserts such as carob sconuts and loaf cakes, our carob doughnuts are also gluten-free. However, they are not your normal gluten free doughnuts. They feature a pillowy cake-like crumb, thanks to beaten eggs and egg whites.
Bouncy, dense and dark. They are everything a carob or chocolate doughnut lover could want. They will certainly cure your doughnut cravings. When we were developing the recipe, we envisioned these carob doughnuts as a healthier version of this classic treat. Sinfully-delicious but still nutritious.
Why These Carob Doughnuts Are Top Notch
- Gluten-free. Not only is almond flour gluten-free, it also elevates these doughnuts to gourmet status.
- Naturally Sweetened. No refined sugar or artificial sweeteners at all. We used maple sugar and carob powder as natural sweetening agents.
- Carob Powder Goodness. Whether you use raw carob or roasted carob powder, the end-result will still be delicious if you choose Australian Carobs.
- Extra Moist. The fluffy, melts in your mouth profile is many thanks to the egg whites, whole eggs, heavy cream, butter and baking powder.
- Vanilla Magic. As always, we can only recommend pure and real vanilla extract.
- Carob Glaze. The doughnuts are perfect as they are. But for a full carob doughnut experience, we suggest not skipping this part!
Generously glaze them and indulge with preferred toppings such as walnuts and slivered almonds, in case you need our opinion.
RECIPE. Carob Doughnuts
- 4 tbsps butter, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp pure real vanilla extract
BAKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR CAROB DOUGHNUTS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a donut pan well.
- In a large bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Whisk the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- Transfer the batter evenly into the donut cavities, filling them 3/4 of the way. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until dark golden brown.
- Allow the doughnuts to cool until they are easy to remove from the pan.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Follow the instructions on the Carob Glaze page.
- When the doughnuts have cooled enough to easily remove from the molds, transfer them to a rack or board (as shown in our photos). Carefully press the doughnut in carob glaze mixture to coat. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts. Add your preferred toppings. Crushed walnuts or slivered almonds for example.