We seldom see the words moist and gluten-free together but the recipe for these Carob Cupcakes makes it possible. Subtly rich with a pillowy soft crumb, these sweet cousins of carob muffins are bursting with classic flavors reminiscent of gourmet home-baking. With natural sweetness from carob powder and maple syrup, trust us when we say that this is our ultimate favorite when it comes to homemade carob cupcakes.
Every bite is wonderfully light, fluffy and flavorful! In the recipe below, we listed one teaspoon of lemon zest for some bursts of tang. But if you’re madly in love with citrus, go heavy on the zest! No lemons? You may use orange zest too for that extra zing!
To take this further, you may lavishly slather them with our popular gluten-free Carob Buttercream. The combination may transform this delicately sweet treat into a centerstage dessert that is perfect for all occasions. Or if you’d prefer, top each carob cupcake with fresh fruits and carob whipped cream and each piece will perfectly complement afternoon tea parties with friends.
RECIPE: Carob Cupcakes
- 1 Baking Oven
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsps The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large egg whites, whipped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter*
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350F. If preferred, line the cupcake pan with liners. If you'd prefer to not use liners, please use a non-stick cupcake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, brown rice flour, carob powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Mix thoroughly.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the beaten eggs, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Mix well until well-incorporated and no large lumps remain.
- Once fully combined, fold in the whipped egg whites using the cut and fold technique. The batter should be thick but pourable.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pans, approximately 3/4 of the way. Bake on a center rack for 20 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the edges and surface appear golden brown. Please watch your oven because all ovens are different.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
FOR FROSTING (OPTIONAL)
- Follow the Carob Buttercream instructions.
- Start frosting each cupcake based on your preferred design.*
- Cool completely before frosting with Carob Buttercream.
- The appearance and sweetness of the cupcake will depend on the type of carob powder that you use. Roasted carob powder tends to have a sweeter and darker in color profile. Raw carob powder lends a delicately sweet and slightly less dark in color profile. Whichever you decide to choose, just know that both taste amazingly good!
- For photography purposes, we drizzled the carob buttercream with carob syrup and decorated the cupcakes with candied carob pecans.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.