Unlocking the secret to organic, wholesome and pure carob chips for baking and other food applications is easy when you have access to the world’s best quality carob powder, the Australian Carobs. Developed for us by Stivi Wonders, this carob chip recipe does not require advanced cooking skills. It only calls for two ingredients — roasted carob powder and cocoa butter. This duo creates a creamy, decadent taste that is so rich in flavor that your mouth will do a double take.
Contrary to popular belief, cocoa butter contains negligible amounts of caffeine and theobromine. If you’re allergic to these things, we still recommend for you to check with your doctor about your food sensitivities and levels of tolerance. If you want a full worry-free experience, please make sure that your cocoa butter is ethically-sourced.
RECIPE: Carob Chips
- In a small sauce pan over very low heat, or in a bowl in a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter to liquid form.
- Add the roasted carob powder a little at a time (so it doesn't get lumpy) while mixing constantly. Chopsticks are great for stirring the mixture.
- Gently pour the liquid mixture onto parchment paper on a baking sheet and let it spread out fairly thin (or according to your preferred thickness). Use a rubber spatula to get it all out of the pot and onto the parchment.
- Let it sit until cooled/hardened a little and then put the baking sheet in the refrigerator to thoroughly cool it. You may also finish it in the freezer if your pan fits.
- Once cooled, use a sharp knife to cut and/or break into small pieces that are chip size. Put the chips in an airtight container and store in the freezer or refrigerator or use them. These small carob chips are great to munch, to put in trail mix or on smoothie bowls, in cookies and muffins, etc.
There are endless carob recipes you can masterfully create with these unsweetened carob chips. Use these chips to make a fudgy plate of brownies or carob chip cookies. You can expect that your desserts will quickly become a crowd-favorite!
We hope you find this recipe helpful! It’s decadent, delicious and nutritious. For those wondering why we didn’t use coconut oil, here’s what Stivi Wonders has to say. “Coconut oil also came to mind, however, it would be challenging to bake with it since it’ll just melt away.“
Enjoy! If you decide to make carob chips using this recipe, please don’t forget to tag #AustralianCarobs on Instagram!