Buttercream frostings are notorious for teeth-grinding or gum-hurting sweetness. Our naturally sweet Carob Buttercream Recipe is not in the same department! In fact, it changes the game for the better! No egg whites, no refined sugar and no artificial sweeteners. All these make this super kid-friendly! Aside from its incredibly delicious flavor profile, our carob buttercream recipe only requires five ingredients! To make things even sweeter, this one is also gluten-free!
Frost any cupcake or cookie with this luscious spread. Its rich taste delivers a party to any carrot muffin, vanilla cake, and homemade bread. Remember, there is no law against burying baked treats beneath a mountain of this heavenly frosting! Especially for something this good!
This recipe is every bit as versatile as the typical buttercream. It is sturdy, can hold its decorative-piped form, and can be spruced with fruits and other ingredients. We recently used this to whip a decadent Berry Maple Buttercream to complement our Carob Almond Vanilla Cake.
Some would argue that this should be called Carob Cream Cheese Frosting or Carob Cream Cheese Icing. It doesn’t really matter. What counts is the fact that this carob buttercream is the perfect crowning glory for cakes, muffins, cupcakes and spiced loaves and bars. It’s naturally sweet with just the right amount of tang!
Tips for Making An Excellent Carob Buttercream
- Use a full-fat block cream cheese, not low fat or the cream cheese spread.
- Make sure that you’re using unsalted butter.
- Allow the butter and cream cheese to soften. This ensures a lump-free mixture. Let them to come to room temperature as well before starting to mix them together.
- Refrigerate the buttercream before piping. Fit your piping bag with a piping tip, fill the bag with frosting then refrigerate it for 30 minutes before piping.
RECIPE. Carob Buttercream
- Electric Mixer
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature (brick-style, not spreadable)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature (not melted)
- 1/4 cup The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1 tbsp organic real maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure real vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and unsalted butter with the electric mixer on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- With mixer on low to medium speed, gradually add carob powder until the buttercream mixture is a thick spreadable consistency.
- Spread or pipe carob buttercream on cooled cake or cupcakes.