Baked, not fried, this original recipe for Carob Barbecue Chicken Nuggets is our take on a global favorite. Juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, using almond flour instead of bread crumbs or regular flour makes these homemade chicken nuggets gluten-free. Moreover, we used almond milk to keep this recipe dairy-free.
Carob Barbecue Chicken Nuggets
There’s no excuse now for you to not enjoy this classic snack. In fact, this healthy version offers an excellent reason for you to indulge. The ingredient list shown below involves pantry staples and all you need to do is to prepare the carob barbecue seasoning in advance.
- Chicken thighs, for a more succulent direction. However, feel free to use chicken breast is that is preferred.
- Carob Barbecue Seasoning
- Almond Flour
- Almond Milk
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Here’s an important note when baking chicken nuggets. Baking pans will give you different results. For even browned or golden edges, we recommend using an aluminum pan. The nonstick may not work as well.
If lighter flavor profile is desired, you may want to use our Herbes de Caroube seasoning.
These chicken nuggets are perfect on their own, but they are even better with a delicious dipping sauce such as Carob Maple Glaze or Carob Teriyaki.
RECIPE: Carob Barbecue Chicken Nuggets
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 4 tbsps Carob Barbecue Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsps unsweetened almond milk*
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place almond flour, Carob Barbecue Seasoning, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix until well-combined. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and almond milk. Set aside.
- Line the large baking sheet with foil. Oil the foil using olive oil or non-stick olive oil spray.
- Dip each chicken cube into the wet mixture, then use a tong to grab each chicken nugget and toss into the almond flour mixture to completely coat with flour. Use tongs to transfer to the foil, placing about an inch apart.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with more carob barbecue seasoning for extra flavor. Serve with preferred dipping sauce.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.