Mini-loaves are soul food in smaller, friendlier forms and that is the inspiration behind this satisfying treat. Our Carob and Raisin Mini-Loaf Recipe marries this concept with the classic tea loaf. Easy to make and naturally-sweetened, you’ll be glad to know that they are also vegan and gluten-free. Bite into them or slice each piece into thick wedges, the choice is yours to make. All we know is that these carob mini-loaves are perfect for afternoon tea indulgence.
Carob and Raisin Mini-Loaf, Vegan and Gluten Free
Depending on how tall you want them to be, this recipe makes four to six mini-loaves. Double the recipe to make a 8-12. For cafe settings, these carob mini-loaves can be baked and stored inside the freezer for 2-3 days. Allow it to thaw and warm it a little in the oven before using. As always, let it cool completely before frosting
- Choice of Flour. Please read the label of the flour package to ensure that it is completely gluten-free. If gluten-free all-purpose flour is unavailable, please use super fine almond flour as alternative.
- Natural Sweetener. If preferred, cane sugar or organic maple sugar can be used in lieu of coconut sugar.
- Carob Powder. The appearance and sweetness of these mini-loaves will depend on the type of carob powder that you use. Roasted carob powder tends to have a sweeter and darker in color profile. Raw carob powder lends a delicately sweet and slightly less dark in color profile. Whichever you decide to choose, just know that both taste amazingly good!
- Oil. If avocado oil is not accessible, please use extra virgin olive oil.
- Egg-free. There is no egg in this recipe. Please make sure that the applesauce is unsweetened to avoid ending up with a cloyingly sweet cake.
If being vegan is not a requirement, then feel free to use butter instead of oil and egg instead of applesauce.
Nuts, seeds and other dried fruits such as dried pineapple, cranberries, and dates make excellent mix-ins as well.
RECIPE: Carob and Raisin Mini-Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbsps organic maple sugar*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease mini-loaf pan with avocado oil.
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients except for the raisins. Mix until well-combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture except for warm water. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour in the warm water and mix batter for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle the raisins and mix until it is well-incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared mini-loaf pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 350F. Or until it passes the toothpick/knife test.
- Allow the mini-loaves to cool completely before serving. Best enjoyed with tea or any hot beverage.
For more homemade gourmet carob recipes using Australian Carobs, please visit CarobRecipes.com.