The best fudge cake combines carob and coffee to create a moist, fudgy cake lover’s dream. The rich buttercream frosting makes it perfect! Espresso and walnut is a well-loved cake combination and this one is crowned with an indulgent carob fudge topping — making it a perfect centerpiece for any event table setting.
Carob and Coffee Fudge Cake Recipe
- 2 2/3 cups (400gms) gluten-free plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups (275 gms) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (50 gms) The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- 3 pcs large eggs, lightly whisked
- 3 fl oz (100 ml) The Australian Carob Co. Carob Syrup
- 2/3 cup (160 gms) sour cream
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- 6 oz (185 gms) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) cold water
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 1 tbsp espresso coffee granules
- 8.8 oz (250 gms) unsalted butter, softened and diced
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (280 gms) icing sugar
- 2 tbsps The Australian Carob Co. roasted carob powder
- Whole Walnuts
- The Australian Carob Co. Pure Raw Carob Kibble Nibbles
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced/350°F-375°F) and lightly grease and line the base of 3 x 20cm (8 inch) sandwich cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, carob powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt flakes, stirring to combine.
- In a large jug, combine eggs, carob syrup, sour cream and vanilla, whisking to combine. Set aside until required.
- In a large jug, combine melted butter and coffee granules, whisking gently until coffee dissolves. Add oil and water to the butter mixture, whisking until mixture is well-combined.
- Pour over the flour mixture, stirring gently with a spatula until combined. Add egg mixture, stirring again until combined.
- Evenly divide mixture between prepared cake tins and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the center of each cake cleanly. Remove from oven and allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes, before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, combine water and coffee together in a small bowl, stirring until coffee dissolves. Set aside to cool completely. Using an electric stand mixer beat butter until light and fluffy. Slowly add vanilla, icing sugar, carob powder and coffee mixture, beating until pale, fluffy and well combined.
- To serve, place a cake on a cake plate or stand. Spoon over a third of the buttercream, spreading evenly. Top with second cake and repeat the process. Place final cake on top and spread remaining buttercream over the top. To finish, sprinkle over walnuts and carob kibble.