With its outstanding vanilla maple flavor, pillowy soft crumb, and decadent blueberry accent, this loaf cake recipe could easily become a staple on your dessert rotation. It is an excellent way to integrate fresh blueberries, walnuts and carob chips into recipes! So here we are with our take on the classic loaf cake, our Blueberry, Coconut and Carob Loaf recipe. One glaring fact about this deliciously moist carob loaf cake is that it is gluten-free!
There’s no dairy in this recipe. No refined sugar used either. Organic and real maple syrup acts as natural sweetener. The carob powder ingredient in homemade carob chips also takes the place of sweeteners. A simple adaptation of our Carob Almond Vanilla Cake recipe, this loaf is incredibly plush because it is made with unsweetened apple sauce and extra virgin olive oil, instead of butter, which also gives it a rich batter.
The fusion of almond flour and coconut flour really comes through in this nicely textured loaf. Whipped egg whites not only act as rising agent but also lends the final aesthetic a muted or light golden color. As always, we highly recommend only using pure and real vanilla extract.
What Makes This Carob Loaf Special?
- Gluten Free but Deliciously Moist. The flavorful tight crumb is a result of using almond flour and coconut flour
- Fluffy and Bouncy. Thanks to whipped egg whites, unsweetened apple sauce and extra virgin olive oil.
- Wholesome Carob Goodness. Homemade Carob Chips are a delightful addition!
- Naturally Sweetened. With real organic maple syrup, who needs the unhealthy stuff? This recipe has no refined sugar at all!
- Sweet and Tangy. Fresh blueberries and lemon zest always deliver the perfect notes.
- Crowning Glory. Aside from fruits and carob chips, crushed walnuts and unsweetened coconut flakes make excellent toppings!
- Real Vanilla Extract. This just seals this loaf as one of the best carob loaf recipes ever!
Blueberry Coconut Carob Loaf
If you make this at home using the recipe below, please let us know! You may also tag #AustralianCarobs on Instagram so we can follow your carob baking journey! This blueberry-studded loaf can be made into mini-loaves to give as gifts, or it can be baked as a standard loaf for serving at a meal. Enjoy!
RECIPE. Blueberry Coconut and Carob Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour, super fine
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large egg whites, whipped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup organic real maple syrup
- 2 tbsps apple sauce, unsweetened
- 2 tbsps lemon zest
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup Carob Chips, (we recommend our recipe for homemade carob chips)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease your choice of non-stick loaf pan or two mini-loaf pans (we used the latter).
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the beaten eggs, maple syrup, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and kosher salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Mix well until well-incorporated and until no large lumps remain.
- Once fully combined, fold in the whipped egg whites using the cut and fold technique. The batter should be thick but pourable.
- Fold in blueberries, carob chips, coconut flakes and walnuts.
- Pour batter into desired loaf pan size. Or if using mini-loaf pans, divide batter evenly between prepared mini-loaf pans and bake on a center rack for 35-40 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the edges and surface appear golden brown. Please watch your oven because all ovens are different.
- Let cool for 15 minutes in the loaf pans. To remove from pans, run a dull knife (careful not to scratch/damage the side of the pans) around the edge of the pans to loosen the loaf.
- Store loaf in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.