There is something about eating a thick smoothie with a spoon and calling it a meal. Perhaps because it is a good excuse to turn something healthy into a decadent dessert? In essence, smoothie bowls make excellent breakfast ideas. They also sit high on preferred healthy treats. They have the rich and creamy consistency of soft serve ice cream with all the nutrition of fruit. For this recipe, we took it further! The medley of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries is fused with the superfood profile of almonds, crushed walnuts and carob powder. Without further ado, here’s another juice-shop worthy smoothie bowl idea to add to your dessert recipe arsenal — Berry Nutty Carob Smoothie Bowl!
This “thick shake” in a bowl is a breeze to make. As though we needed more reasons to enjoy this fruity treat more often, right? All you have to do is to simply place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and then process until the mixture resembles a soft serve consistency. The luxuriously creamy fruity carob-greens-and-berries base is reminiscent of sweet sorbet.
RECIPE: Berry Nutty Carob Smoothie Bowl
- Food Blender or Food Processor
BERRY NUTTY SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- 1 pc green apple
- 1/2 cup mixed berries, frozen
- 1/4 cup baby spinach and kale, frozen
- 1/2 cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsps The Australian Carob Co. Roasted or Raw Carob Powder
- 2 tbsps pure and real almond butter (preferably homemade)
- 1/4 tsp ginger, grated
SMOOTHIE BOWL TOPPINGS
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 2 tbsps pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsps almonds, sliced
- 2 tbsps walnuts, crushed
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend on low until the mixture reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Divide and scoop mixture into two serving bowls, dust with carob powder, and top with raspberries, pomegranate seeds, sliced almonds and crushed walnuts.
Tips For Making The Best Carob Smoothie Bowl
The perfect smoothie bowl is just a blend away and this recipe is just the beginning. Feel free to use this carob smoothie bowl recipe as your base then customize it with preferred toppings for texture and flavor explosion.
A few things to remember:
- KEEP IT HEALTHY. Use carob powders or pure carob syrup as natural sweeteners. For extra decadence, you may want to use maple syrup or date syrup.
- THICK AND CREAMY. To achieve optimal thickness, only use frozen real fruits and greens. Blend on low for a luscious and thicker consistency.
- NUTRITIONAL BOOST. To push the nutrient profile notches higher, use superfoods as toppings. Almond butter, fresh berries, nuts and seeds, pomegranates, carob syrup drizzle, carob chips, and a dusting of carob powder. These are all good ideas for turning your smoothie bowls into nutrient powerhouses.
For more smoothie recipe ideas, please visit our Carob Smoothie page.